This course covers the Handcuff user programme but is extended to those that wish to develop into the Handcuff instructor. The pre course requisites for this are that you already hold the following qualifications
- Level 3 Award in Physical Intervention
- Level 3 Award in Conflict Management
- Level 3 – 4 Award in Education & Training
The course is modular based although this course can be taught as a standalone unit, we highly recommend it is taught in conjunction with the Control & Restraint training.
The aim of the course is to teach delegates within the guide-lines and the law, the correct use of Handcuff techniques appropriate to non-compliant and violent individuals and to provide a competent physical intervention training programme for staff that are expected to engage in physical intervention and Handcuffing as part of their employment. And to provide a basic understanding of the law supporting the use of application of Mechanical Restraints/Handcuffs
To allow the delegate to practice Handcuffing techniques in a controlled environment and to instruct the delegate on the following knowledge and skills
- The Basic English Law in relation to the use of applying Handcuffs
- The various appropriate technical physical skills required for the competent application of Handcuffs including appropriate methods of restraining, holding still and containing a person in an ethical but compliant manner.
- Explain the risks associated with the use of Handcuffs for the purpose which is used in physical intervention and the application of a Mechanical Restraint
- Highlighting the Medical Implications involved in the use of Handcuff use
This course comprises of both a theoretical training and practical elements. The theory sessions include current and relevant guidelines, our instructor’s personal experiences, best practice and legislative guidance, these are conveyed in presentations and class discussions to encourage the delegate to interact and learn. The Practical sessions allow delegates to practice Handcuff techniques in a controlled environment under supervision of one of our highly qualified instructors.
Legislation and Guidance for the use of Control & Restraint Techniques
Delegates will be provided with an awareness of when Handcuff techniques can be used and deployed in accordance with current best practice and UK legislation. The course is designed to instil confidence and a new skills set in the delegate and an understanding of their legal position when using a Mechanical Restraint Delegates are provided with an understanding of the effects when using Handcuffs on vulnerable persons those suffering from a form of mental illness and those that are violent.
This is a pass or fail course for Instructors and is assessed over the 2 days. Our instructors must be satisfied that the delegate is fully competent to be certified as proficient of practising and teaching Handcuff techniques and that they clearly possesses an understanding of the law associated with the Use of Application.
THIS COURSE IS RUN OVER 2 DAYS AND PROVIDES THE INSTRUCTOR WITH A:
- Level 3 Endorsed Award in Handcuff Instructor
- Level 2 Endorsed Award in Handcuff user from